Monday, April 20, 2015

Windows Phone: Still Nobody at Home

I've owned a Windows Phone since they came out, because it was an inexpensive way to own a smart phone without succumbing to the siren song of Apple or to the the peculiarities of Android, where different users got or didn't get OS updates depending on their hardware maker.

I have written about the promise of the phones; because they are Nokia, they work well, and the Windows Phone OS isn't bad at all, and it works well with Outlook, which I have used for a long time.

I was impressed by CEO Nadella's comments when he first came on board about how he understood the needs of the developer community, and Microsoft would meet them where they live (their income statements) and increase the app store and therefore the user base.

Well, it looks like absolutely nothing has happened.  Windows Phone isn't an option for someone who wants to download popular consumer apps in many, many different areas.

I would guess that they are going to have to write-off some of the goodwill attached to the $7 billion plus Nokia acquisition, because surely the cash flows won't be there in the future.

At lease my phone still works, and Microsoft hasn't orphaned me as a user,....yet.

No comments: