Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kings of the Blues

It seems like everywhere I turn on the radio, someone is recording with B.B. King, and the endless tributes deservedly flow to a blues master. I recently rediscovered a disc from the neglected Albert King, with his Flying V guitar, "Lucy." I guess that I hadn't listened to his discs in a while, and it struck me how raw Albert's sound is compared to that of B.B. King.

The guitar tone is not big and round, like B.B.'s Lucille. Albert's guitar tone is stinging, and his voice and diction are less urban and more back country. I heard a song, "Angel of Mercy" that knocked me back in my seat. It's an unforgiving portrait of credit crisis and unemployment told by a great blues master in his best voice, singing his heart out. Lucy throws in her accents and fills at just the right times. This is a classic that time has forgotten, in my opinion. Albert's use of horns, and an organ to give a nice bottom to the band is also something that distinguishes his style. Give it a listen and tell me what you think.

The King who has really fallen by the wayside is Freddy King, from Gilmer, Texas. He's probably my favorite in the pantheon. His loud, reverb heavy guitar backed by a great piano player and small band is a unique signature. I was blown away when I first heard Eric Clapton's solo on "Hideaway," which is on the first album by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. Years later, I found Freddy's original solo, which Eric had ripped off, note for note, even with the heavy reverb! That's how it goes for the innovators. Freddy King is always worth a listen.

No comments: